Thursday, August 13, 2009

Home Home on the Range

(warning - I did not have the patience to figure out the formatting of pictures and text on this site. It is very raw.... I apologize)

Hey! So I have finally been in the same place for a good week now. Hanging out in Soda Creek on the Dunaway Ranch. The Aunt and Uncle of Naomi run it. A small operation with a slow internet connection so over time i'll get some pictures up. Yea so I have been helping out a little bit, eating some awesome food! But over the next week or so we will work a few days and help out with the honey harvest. Diane runs a bee operation called "Bee Happy Honey" and it is some awesome honey! She also edits the BC Bee Keepers magazine called "Bee Scene" www.bcbeekeepers.com

I'll start with the Chilkoot trail. You remember before I posted a picture of how the trail looked back in the day when it was heavily used. Thousands of people packing their goods up this slope. They had to make 40-50 trips to get their years of supplies over the pass for RCMP inspection. Anyways, here is how it looked on the day I hauled my days worth of supplies over.  So a nice view, nice and foggy. Real cold too. I was in my sweaty t shirt and summer clothes and got serious chills. But it was a fun scramble over the top. Real steep and slippery on the rocks. I was on all 4's at some points.













Next I'll go to the Dempster highway. 750 km up to Inuvik from Dawson City of gravel, rough road. So after a climb up Mt. Anglecomb in Tombstone park, the most scenic part of the Yukon I thought, the view says it all....














So we (Jo and myself) finished the hike around 2:30 pm, still 700 km from Inuvik, the end of the road. So we thought, lets go! Drove straight there, the next picture is the midnight sun in the NWT. Real small spindly trees. We arrived at 3 am to some real bad, expensive chinese food, because what else are you going to get at 3 am in Inuvik? And the last picture is of Inuvik itself, not much to look at, a town... But all of the buildings are on stilts because you can't build into the permafrost. All of the plumbing, pipes, wires are all above ground. There are bridges for the roads that go over the sewer and water pipes. 















And the last picture is of the long drive back near the NWT border. Lots of grass, clouds, wind!


And then the sunrise on the way back. Bastion, this cyclist hoping to cycle down to Argentina from Alaska had to stop and take several pictures....

So that is all I can handle uploading for now. I'll get more on the go as the days progress and I feel like being on a computer, which is pretty rare lately. Hope all is good for everyone and you are enjoying the August!

No comments:

Post a Comment